Chicken Soup with Passatelli
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups fresh breadcrumbs
- ⅔ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large pot, bring broth to a boil. Add carrots, celery, garlic and salt. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs, cheese and nutmeg in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add eggs; mix until thoroughly combined. The dough should be damp but firm. If necessary, incorporate additional breadcrumbs or a few drops of water; if the dough is too wet or too dry it will crumble.
- To form the passatelli, pinch off a piece of dough and roll it out between your palms or on the work surface into a rope about ¼ inch thick, then break it into ½-inch lengths. Continue forming the rest of the dough in the same manner.
- Bring the broth back to a boil, add the passatelli and parsley and cook for 5 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls, sprinkle with a little Parmesan and serve.