Green Chile Turkey Burger
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 scallion, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 green chiles, such as Hatch, New Mexico or poblano
- 4 slices pepper Jack cheese (about 1 ounce each)
- 2 8- to 10-inch whole-wheat flour tortillas, halved
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- Lettuce & tomato for serving
- Build a hot fire or preheat a gas grill to high.
- Mix turkey with cilantro, scallion, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Shape into 4 patties, ½ inch thick. Refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Grill chiles until the skins are blackened and blistered, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let cool slightly. Scrape off the skin with a paring knife, slice lengthwise and discard seeds and stems.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the burgers until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Top with cheese and grill until it melts, about 1 minute more. Transfer the burgers to a platter. Quickly warm tortillas on the grill. Serve the burgers in tortilla halves with a chile and sour cream, topped with lettuce and/or tomato, if desired.