Smokey Steak Salad with Arugula and Oranges
- 8 ounces flank steak
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 navel oranges
- 1½ tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 (5 ounce) package baby arugula
- ½ cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1 ounce goat cheese or feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Sprinkle both sides of steak with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steak and cook to desired doneness, 6 to 8 minutes per side for medium (145°F). Tent with foil and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grate 1 teaspoon zest and squeeze ¼ cup juice from one of the oranges. Whisk the zest and juice, the remaining 2 teaspoon oil, vinegar, honey, garlic, mustard, paprika, rosemary and the remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Peel the remaining 3 oranges and slice into rounds. Slice the steak thinly across the grain. Place arugula on a serving platter; top with the steak, the orange slices, onion, goat cheese (or feta) and pecans. Drizzle with the vinaigrette.