Korean BBQ Ribs
- 1 large Asian pear or 2 firm ripe pears, peeled and grated
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 bone-in flanken-cut beef short ribs (about 1½ pounds), trimmed
- 12 small lettuce leaves
- 12 perilla leaves
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- ¼ cup Ssamjang
- Kimchi for garnish
- To marinate ribs: Combine pear, garlic, tamari, oil, sugar, ginger and pepper in a medium bowl, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add ribs and massage the marinade into them. Cover and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
- To grill ribs: Preheat grill to high.
- Lightly oil the grill rack. Shake any excess marinade off the ribs. Grill, without crowding, 30 to 45 seconds per side for rare, or longer if desired. Let rest on a clean cutting board for 5 minutes, then cut each in half.
- To serve: Assemble 12 lettuce wraps with 1 perilla leaf, ¼ cup rice, one piece of meat and 1 teaspoon Ssamjang each. Garnish with kimchi, if desired.