Vegan Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup room temperature coconut oil (not liquid)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Place coconut oil and sugar in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, cream the oil and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add water, lemon zest and vanilla and beat until well combined. Gradually add the dry ingredients, beating at low speed until well combined. Divide dough into 4 pieces and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Working with 1 piece of dough at a time (keep remaining dough refrigerated while you work), roll dough between 2 pieces of parchment until about ¼-inch thick. Using 2- to 3-inch cookie cutters, cut out shapes. Lift off top sheet of parchment. Using a metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a prepared baking sheet. Reserve the scraps to reroll. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough and scraps.
- Bake cookies, one baking sheet at a time, until lightly browned around the edges, 10 to 16 minutes.